Brighton & Hove event will see experts from across South England share their experiences of innovative housing solutions
Wednesday 13 November, 11.00am until 2.30pm
Ralli Hall, 81 Denmark Villas, Hove, BN3 3TH
Brighton & Hove Community Land Trust (BHCLT) will showcase good experiences of working relationships between local authorities and Community Land Trusts (CLTs) across the South of England.
The event – which is specifically aimed at local councillors and council officers – will hear from CLT and local authority speakers from Bristol, Cambridge and Cornwall. Between them they have delivered hundreds of affordable community led homes and have found innovative ways to source land and funding.
There are over 300 community land trusts in England and Wales, with more than 16,000 community led homes in the pipeline. The Brighton & Hove Community Led Housing Hub – hosted by BHCLT – is currently supporting 15 groups of local people to set up community led housing projects. Between them they have 180 homes planned by 2023, all with a focus on environmental sustainability.
Rita Garner, BHCLT Director said: “BHCLT has a vision of Brighton & Hove as a city where all residents, regardless of their income, have secure housing and homes that reflect their diversity and creativity. There are a lot of exciting things happening here already, but we are hoping this event will provide further inspiration to Brighton & Hove City Council and encourage them as they fulfil their promises to support community led housing in the city.”
Speaking at the evening will be:
• Kelly Thomas, Community led housing at Bristol City Council
• Keith Cowling, community architect and founding chair of Bristol Community Land Trust
• Noreen Jeffries, Rural Housing Enabler and Nick Marsden, Affordable Housing Manager – Cornwall Council Housing Service [Via internet link up]
• Andrew George, Director of Cornwall Community Land Trust
• Dave Prinsep, Head of Property Services at Cambridge City Council
• Frances Wright, K1 cohousing member and resident at Marmalade Lane and now Head of Community Partnering at TOWN.
Brighton & Hove
• Councillor David Gibson, Green Party opposition spokesperson for the BHCC Housing Committee, about what is happening with community led housing in Brighton & Hove.
The event – which is invite only – will take place on Wednesday 13 November from 11.00am until 2.30pm at Ralli Hall, 81 Denmark Villas, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 3TH. If people want to attend, they can get in touch with BHCLT on firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information and to arrange interviews with BHCLT Directors, staff members or supported groups, contact Amy Hall, Communications Officer, on 07950808190 or email@example.com