Autumn has arrived with a flourish in the Greenhouse @ Emmaus Brighton, the garden shop with a difference based on the Emmaus site in Portslade village.
Emmaus Brighton is a charity helping people move on from homelessness by providing them with a home and meaningful work in a supportive, family environment. The Emmaus Brighton community is home to 47 people, known as companions, and each individual contributes by working to the best of their ability in one of the social enterprises or in another role within the community.
The Greenhouse social enterprise was launched in 2012 and sells plants alongside second hand and handmade gardening goods, most of which are donated by members of the public.
As autumn arrives and the leaves begin to fall, The Greenhouse is packed to bursting with everything a keen gardener might need for the new season – with a vast selection of plants and gardening goods on offer.
Here’s just some of what can be found in the garden shop at Emmaus:
- Garden essentials – Tools and plant pots for autumn chores.
- Vegetables grown by volunteers on the community allotment.
- Cosy blankets, cushions and throws in soft wools, velvets and cottons.
- Wellies and gloves to keep hands and feet snug.
- Bags of pine cones for decorating and crafting.
- Chairs and tables for cool autumn evenings on the garden and patio.
- Autumnal plants – a glorious range of ferns, cyclamen, conifers and trees.
- Faux and dried flowers, foliage and seed heads in autumn hues.
- Daffodil bulbs – plant them now for blooms next spring.
- Spider plants, succulents and a range of donated house plants for indoors.
- Baskets, lanterns and tea light holders to decorate the home and garden for the season.
- Colourful glass vases, copper jugs, plus the greenhouse pick of vintage crockery and homewares.
And for the armchair gardener – Emmaus has 2nd hand gardening books on every horticultural subject you can imagine, most priced at just 50p or £1. PLUS – take your pick from hundreds of donated gardening magazines – yours to take away for free.
Emmaus are always keen to receive donations of good quality items to keep their shops stocked and are grateful of any donations of plants and gardening items for the greenhouse.
Unwanted items can be dropped in in person or for collection of larger items you can call the Emmaus team on 01273 426 480.
Preparations are already well underway for the Emmaus Brighton Christmas Fair which will wind down a year of celebrations as the community marked its 20th birthday with a number of events throughout 2017. The fair will be held on Saturday 2nd December at the Portslade site and once again, Emmaus will have Christmas trees available to buy on the day and throughout December while stocks last.
Emmaus Brighton & Hove
Open Monday – Saturday 9.30am – 5pm