Brighton & Sussex university students unite together at local debate.
Thursday 12th October hosted by the University of Brighton (in partnership with Sussex University), saw this week’s second Great Debate Tour. The panellists included Viral Parikh, Ebunlomo Azeez & Adjani Salmon. The Great Debate Tour is the largest UK debate forum which targets Black, Minority and Ethnic students in UK Universities.
Located at the University of Brighton, the event took place inside the Cockcroft Building Lecture Theatre. The event began with an introduction led by Chairwoman Shanade Johnson.
@sussexacs “Great turn out at the Great Debate! Current topic: Who is responsible for the progress of the black community? #GDT2017 what do you think?”
Each panellist member gave their intake and overview of the following question, deliberating their answers and overall creating a resilient interaction with the audience. The audience discussed a variety of issues such as Ethnic Britain, where guest panellist and students looked at and argued about the progress of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation migrants in Britain over the past 3 decades. Another topic that was brought up was the tragedy of the Grenfell Tower fire. For this sensitive subject students and panellists looked at what lessons could be learned from the incident. The final topic centred on BAME representation in modern day Britain. Students and panel members debated on representation in variety of institutions and sectors and whether it needed or not and ways it could be improved.
After the debate, discussions continued into the evening with our attendees participating in networking opportunities with the panellists.
Adjani Salmon tweeted “Big Up to all the #ACS students and others from @SussexUni & Brighton University for coming out to the @GreatDebateTour @elevationetwork”
Student attendee, Nathalie, commented “Thank you so much to the team at @GreatDebateTour for the stimulating and educational evening held in Brighton tonight #GDT2017”
The Great Debate Tour covers 15 dates at Universities across the country, running throughout Black History Month. For more information about the Great Debate Tour please visit: www.elevationnetworks.org/GreatDebateTour
Great Debate Tour:
The Great Debate Tour is the first and largest national debate forum targeted at cultural communities on Universities campuses across the UK. The tour is a celebration of diversity and heritage as well as a forum for powerful, thought provoking discussion. With the help of a panel of experts, university students are encouraged to explore issues that our research indicates is most relevant to the audience. It is held between October and November as part of Black History Month.
2017 Great Debate Tour Dates:
- Uni of Southampton – 3rd October
- Uni of Manchester & Manchester Met – 5th October
- Uni of Bradford, Uni of Leeds, Leeds Beckett, Huddersfield, York St John & York – 11th October
- Uni of Brighton & Sussex – 12th October
- Uni of Surrey – 17th October
- Liverpool Hope & Uni of Liverpool – 18th October
- Uni of Exeter – 20th October
- Uni of Hertfordshire – 24th October
- Imperial College London – 25th October
- Uni of Essex – 26th October
- Nottingham City Council – 26th October
- Uni of Bedfordshire – 31st October
- Uni of Bristol & Uni of West England – 1st November
- Anglia Ruskin – 2nd November
- Uni of Leicester, DeMontfort & Loughborough – 7th November
- Uni of Birmingham, Aston & Birmingham City – 8th November
- Uni of Kent – 9th November