A number of events will be taking place in West Sussex to support Dementia Awareness Week to raise awareness and share information.
Around 14,000 people are estimated to have dementia in West Sussex. That figure is expected to reach 18,000 by 2025.
Events include sessions at libraries, dementia friendly swimming sessions, memory walks, and singing for the brain sessions. For more information on all the events taking place see https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/campaigns/dementia-awareness-week-2017/
You can also visit the online dementia learning resource and discover free information and support about dementia. You will be signposted to videos, online learning and workbooks: https://www.westsussexcpd.co.uk/courses/bookings/pathways.asp?pid=33#sthash.wdhlfHF9.dpbs
Events taking place at libraries around the county:
• Free Dementia Friends information sessions at libraries
Become a Dementia Friend at the free sessions are run by volunteer Dementia Friends Champions, who are trained and supported by the Alzheimer’s Society. Join library staff afterward the sessions for a coffee and browse our reminiscence collection and other resources for people with dementia.
Sessions are at:
– Worthing Library on Tuesday 16 May from 10–11am. Free. Book a place at www.dementiafriends.org.uk or call the library on 01903 704809.
– Littlehampton Library on Wednesday 17 May from 10.30–11.30am. Book a place at www.dementiafriends.org.uk or call the library on 01903 716450.
– Rustington Library on Wednesday 17 May from 2.30-3.30pm. Book a place at www.dementiafriends.org.uk or call the library on 01903 785857.
– Chichester Library on Wednesday 17 May from 5.30–6.30pm. Book a place at www.dementiafriends.org.uk or call the library on 01243 777351
– Ferring Library on Friday 19 May from 10–11am. Book a place at www.dementiafriends.org.uk or call the library on 01903 241811.
• Dementia Awareness drop-in
On Monday 15 May from 10.30am to 1pm at Horsham Library pop along and meet the Alzheimer’s Society to find out more about dementia and the help and support on offer.
• Lunchtime talk – Positively Dementia
Pop along to a free talk at Chichester Library on Monday 15 May from 12.10-12.50pm. One of our series of popular lunchtime talks, the Chichester and Bognor Positive Thinkers will be presenting a random collection of thoughts, poems and reminiscence.
The Positive Thinkers are a group of people living well with dementia.