With the registration closing date of 24 June looming for Night to Remember, it’s now or never to sign up and join this year’s midnight walk to raise vital funds for St Barnabas House hospice!
This year it will be particularly exciting as Night to Remember had previously only been open for ladies to participate, but for the first time men and children aged over 10 are able to walk through the night on Saturday 30 June and help to raise vital funds for the hospice.
Leading the way for other participants are Ben Wostenhulme, 35 from Canterbury, and Shannon Lawrence, 12 from Ewell in Surrey, who were amongst the very first men and children to sign up.
Shannon will be walking with her family; mum Sharon Lawrence, dad Dave Lawrence and brother Riley Lawrence (age 14) as well as her auntie Vanessa Wade, who lives in Hove. Shannon’s grandmother is terminally ill and has been using the Day Hospice facilities at St Barnabas House.
Shannon said, “I wanted to take part to make my nanny proud while she’s still here.”
Ben Wostenhulme is walking with his partner Samantha Wisden and her twin sister Hannah Wisden. Ben was delighted to discover he was the first male to sign up for the walk. They will all be walking in memory of Anthony Martin, his partner’s grandfather.
Ben says, “My partner signed us all up for the challenge and we only found out afterwards it has previously only been for women. To be the first man to do so is an honour.
“We are taking part in Night to Remember to help raise funds for St Barnabas as a small gesture to show our thanks and gratitude for all the care and dedication they showed to my partner’s grandfather in the end stages of his life. The support the staff gave to his wife, Eileen and the whole family was nothing short of wonderful.
“St Barnabas has given us all an improved perception of the excellent standards of care hospices as a whole can provide..”
You can register today at www.stbh.org.uk/nighttoremember or by calling the St Barnabas House Events Team on 01903 706354.