Impetus, the Brighton and Hove charity dedicated to providing befriending, advocacy and support services to vulnerable adults, have launched their new 2016 Christmas campaign to help tackle the issue of loneliness and isolation in Brighton and Hove, for Christmas and at all times of the year.
The facts speak for themselves:
• 44,294 people in Brighton and Hove are living alone
• 70% of the people Impetus help, tell them that isolation is the most difficult aspect of their life
• Loneliness and isolation makes us more prone to depression and can be as damaging to our health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day
• £10.35 allows Impetus to befriend an isolated and vulnerable person for a week
Help Impetus ensure no one is lonely in Brighton and Hove this Christmas. Text the word CONNECT to 70060 to give £5.
This is the first campaign appeal that Impetus has ever undertaken and the “No-one should be lonely in Brighton and Hove “campaign aims to highlight the fact that there will be a significant number of elderly but also vulnerable people in Brighton and Hove spending Christmas alone this year.
Impetus know that as we head towards 2017 this is an unacceptable situation which affects us all, and isolation is shockingly an on-going issue in Brighton & Hove, which has a profound effect on people’s well-being and mental health (particularly at Christmas) which is why they need to mobilise local support for the campaign.
Being lonely doesn’t just affect the elderly as other charities will emphasise. Loneliness can hit anyone, at any age, for several reasons. Here we have worked with Impetus to protect individual’s identities but highlight what happens and what it can feel like when you are vulnerable and all alone.
Jo Ivens is the CEO of Impetus: Loneliness can have a devastating impact at any time of year. But as Christmas approaches and families plan their festivities, we will be working with some of the most isolated and vulnerable people in our city. We are urging people to use their phones to donate £5 to our appeal, it’s really easy to do and will make such a big difference.
How YOU can help Impetus ensure “no one is lonely in Brighton and Hove” this Christmas
• Donate – give £5 and help us ensure no one has to be lonely this Christmas – and throughout the year. It costs us just £10.35 to provide weekly befriending support for one isolated person. (Your money will be spent on directly helping those in need: in recruiting and training our volunteers and matching them with isolated people and in providing support to help individuals access information and services to improve their lives).
• Be a good neighbour – check on your neighbours this Christmas time. Why not drop round some mince pies, invite them in for a cuppa or just let them know you care.
• Volunteer – become a volunteer with Impetus and help people in your local community feel less isolated and happier.
• Fundraise – get your friends together, put on an event, do something silly for sponsorship; every penny really does count.
• Spread the word – help us make the campaign come alive by championing us on social media and in your own networks. The more people that know about us, the greater impact we will have – get liking and sharing!
Impetus’ committed volunteers are trained to befriend people, to visit them and listen to them, to offer advice and a friendly ear, to give them confidence and hope.
For more information or to volunteer go to www.bh-impetus.org