As a social group particularly disposed to loneliness and health problems, older people can easily stay healthy, mentally and physically, by attending group exercise classes specifically for seniors, like Walking Football.
Wave’s Walking Football sessions allow older people to enjoy gentle exercise, with fewer chances of falls or injury, while still enjoying the competitive nature of the sport. The group sessions create a really positive social environment where participants can meet new people from their local area, something older people often miss out on.
According to the Campaign to End Loneliness, 51% of British people over the age of 75 live alone and two fifths of older people claim the television is their main source of company. Wave think group physical activity is a great way to combat loneliness, with group classes of activities bringing people together over a shared love of sport.
Liz Allsobrook, Wave’s Community Engagement & Partnership Manager said “At Wave we provide opportunities for people to come together, have new experiences and participate in positive activity which improves wellbeing; not just physical, but mental and emotional as well.”
Wave also hold Strength and Balance sessions, another group activity designed for older people, to support fall prevention through light movement exercises. There are also group classes for all age groups, including Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Aqua Aerobics, Fitness Pilates and BODYPUMP classes.
Through outreach work, Wave is also committed to decreasing isolation in Sussex’s rural communities, engaging with people for whom group exercise would benefit most.
Liz Allsobrook added “Wave’s Community Engagement Team reach out into the community and deliver opportunities for people to come together, not just in leisure centres, but in village halls, community centres, residential settings and communal lounges.
“Working with community transport providers, such as Community Transport for Lewes Area (CTLA), enables those who would otherwise not be able to attend an activity to participate.
Wave Walking Football Sessions:
- Downs Leisure Centre, Seaford on Mondays at 12.00pm to 1.30pm and Wednesdays at 10.00am to 12.00pm
- Lewes Leisure Centre on Fridays at 5.30pm to 7.00pm
- Peacehaven Leisure Centre on Tuesdays at 5.30pm to 7.00pm (launching on 27 February)
Wave Strength and Balance Sessions:
- Lewes Leisure Centre on Tuesday’s from 1:00 – 2:00pm
- Shakespeare Hall on Tuesday’s from 10:00 – 11:00am
- Downs Leisure Centre on Wednesday’s and Thursday’s from 1:30 – 2:30pm
- Peacehaven Leisure Centre (TBC)
- Wivelsfield on Tuesday’s from 3:00 – 4:00pm
- Rodmell on Monday’s from 10:30 – 11:30am
- Firle on Tuesday’s from 12:15 – 1:15pm